Break ups are never easy, and though it may seem like it at the time, they are not the end of the world. The question of "how do I get my ex back" is quite natural, but there is a right way and a wrong way to go about it. With that in mind, here are some tips to help the two of you work things out.
1. You need to be 100% sure that you really want to get back together with your ex. Do you still love them, or do you just want somebody to love? Do you want to be with them and only them, or do you just hate the idea of being alone? There are no right answers here, only honest ones. From this point forward we will assume that you have decided to work things out.
2. Honesty is the best policy. Every successful relationship is built on a foundation of trust, and trust comes from being honest. You need to be honest with yourself, honest with your partner, and honest about your relationship. It may not always be easy to tell the truth, but it is absolutely vital to getting your ex back. However, you shouldn't use honesty as an excuse to be rude, which brings us to the next tip...
3. Be respectful. While your break up could have been caused by any number of things, it's safe to say that a lack of respect was a major part of the problem. Being mean to each other is no way to stay together. Respect is an important part of any relationship. For example, blunt honesty can be used as a hurtful weapon if respect is absent, but add respect and that same truth can be conveyed in a tactful and loving way.
4. Watch for positive signs. People have a tendency to play games with each other, and that makes getting back together more complicated than it needs to be. It would be great if the two of you could have a one-minute conversation and figure out your future (one way or the other), but real life rarely works out that way. Sometimes all you can do is pay attention to what your ex does and try to read the signs. If your ex calls you frequently, or seems to "accidentally" bump into you in public, then those are positive signs.
5. The only person you can change is yourself. At the beginning of this article you were asked if you really to get back together with your ex. If so, then what will be different this time? Remember, you can't make your ex change; only they can do that. You can forgive them for anything wrong they did, but you can't make them change. However, you can change yourself, and you can also change how you perceive your ex should the two of you get back together.
The question of "how do I get my ex back" is worth asking. All it takes is following a few simple steps.